Long John Silver is the main antagonist in the 1950 Disney film, Treasure Island and 1996 Muppet Treasure Island. He is potrayed by Robert Newton in the original Treasure Island and Tim Curry in the Muppet version.
Muppet Treasure Island
- Silver befriends young Jim Hawkins. He even confessed one night that when he was eight, his father died at sea -- "first mate he was", after Jim tells him his own father (also a first mate) died at sea when he was seven.
- However, Silver is actually planning a mutiny amongst the crew of the Hispaniola, so as to seek Captain Flint's treasure himself. He is a deceptively charming man at first, until he is overheard by Gonzo, Rizzo and Jim as he reveals his dastardly plans to his fellow pirates aboard the Hispanola.
- During Silver's siege on Treasure Island it is suggested that Long John Silver and Miss Piggy share a romantic history. At the end of the film, Long John makes off with whatever treasure he can in what is later revealed to be a leaky lifeboat - but not before saying a rather touching goodbye to Jim Hawkins, where he declares he could "never hurt" Jim, because he is "honest and brave and true", something he himself isn't.
- Long John lost his right leg as the result of a cannonball in Madagascar.
- His feature solo number which resulted in the fellow pirates joining along was "Professional Pirate".
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.