Disney's Greatest Villains was a one-hour television special that first aired on May 15, 1977 on The Wonderful World of Disney. It was a somewhat updated version of 1956's Our Unsung Villains, and was also used to feature Madame Medusa, the villain in the then-upcoming Disney animated film The Rescuers.
The program was hosted by Hans Conried, reprising his role as the Magic Mirror from Our Unsung Villains and other Disney specials. The Mirror explained the importance of villains, with most of his dialogue taken from Our Unsung Villains.
Clips from various Disney films were featured, with the Magic Mirror providing biased, yet humorous, commentary. Most of the Villains received a good-sized clip from their respective films, although Lady Tremaine, Cruella De Vil and The Queen of Hearts were featured in a very brief 30-second medley. One sidenote is that the music featured in the Medusa segment would not be used in The Rescuers.
Disney's Greatest Villains would be shown again in reruns, the last time being on the Vault Disney block of programming on the Disney Channel. In 1983, portions of Disney's Greatest Villains were incorporated into the 90-minute special A Disney Halloween.
Featured villains in order of appearance
- Captain Hook - Peter Pan (1953)
- The Wicked Queen Grimhilde as Old-Hag Witch - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
- Madam Mim - The Sword in the Stone (1963)
- Maleficent - Sleeping Beauty (1959)
- Lady Tremaine - Cinderella (1950)
- Cruella de Vil - 101 Dalmatians (1961)
- The Queen of Hearts - Alice in Wonderland (1951)
- Madame Medusa - The Rescuers (1977)
- Edgar Balthazar - The Aristocats (1970)
- Willie the Giant - Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
- Shere Khan and Kaa - The Jungle Book (1967)